Type an address or postcode and start the search for your new home...

5 reasons to live in Lancaster - a focus on LA1 2

Posted on Monday, March 9, 2020

This month we are focussing on LA1 2, an area where I used to live and one which I still hold close to my heart. Since I lived here, times have changed, the bay gateway has opened and Ryelands Park has won green flag status. However, I thought I’d highlight what I personally love about LA1 2 and why it’s an area that I think is often overlooked by many!
5 reasons to live in Lancaster - a focus on LA1 2

No.1 Ryelands Park and the open green public spaces

Did you know that LA1 2 is actually one of the greenest areas of our city. That fact suprises lots of people. 19.8% of the postcode area is actually public green space ( the regional average is just 2.8% ). The main green area is Ryelands Park which has recently been awarded green flag status for it’s cleanliness.

Next is the King George Playing fields just off Slyne Road. Then there is the small woodland at the top of Watery Lane, known locally as Barley Copp Woods or Pad fields- a great place to walk your dog. Talking of dog walks, you also have the footpaths along the River Lune and also the canal tow path.

There’s also the triangle at Skerton. A grassy space, which gives an open feel to the area.

Living near open green space is good for both well being and mental health.

No.2 It’s easy accessible to everywhere

LA1 2 has to be one of the best accesible areas of our city, especially since the opening of the bay gateway. Traffic into the city along both the A6 and Morecambe Road has eased considerably and thanks to the bay gateway, the M6 is now just a few minutes drive.

Live here and you can be in the city, the country or at the coast in just 10 minutes!

No.3 There are good local amenities

Did you know that 94.4% of all homes in LA1 2 are within 200m of a bus stop? The buses also run regulary which makes it a great area for those people that don’t drive.

LA1 2 might not have it’s own supermarket, however live here and you are just 5 minutes in the car from 3. There is though two large spar shops, a premier store, a chemist, doctors and dentist to name a few. At the petrol stration, there is also a Subway and Greggs!

No.4 It is excellent value for money

LA1 2 is one of the most affordable areas of the city to live. The average price per sq foot in Lancaster in general is £170. In this part of the city it is just £131. You get a lot more house for your money. Over the past 12 months, the average house price is just £116,421. Beacuse of this, it has been popular with both first time buyers and investors.

No.5  It’s almost student free

We have nothing against students, however we know that many families, don’t wish to have students in neighbours. Live in LA1 2 and you’ll find it is almost student free. What’s great about LA1 2 is that 39.1% of the residents are families with children and 17.4% are couples.  Just in case you are wondering, there are just over 11,000 people living in this suburb of Lancaster.

LA1 2 is an area which should be considered by more. Maybe, the best bits about it have been hidden too long. Since the opening of the Bay Gateway, demand certainly has soured, especially for the 3 bed family homes.

If you would like to know more about living in LA1 2, please get in touch.  My name is Michelle Gallagher. Call me on 01524 843322 or email me at michelle@jdg.co.uk.  If you are thinking of moving why not book a free home consultation here.